Jan 5, 2011

Thrift Shopping

Every couple of weeks, I try to hit my local Sally's (Salvation Army Thrift Store) usually on Wednesdays for half price clothes or on Fridays for dollar clothes. I typically stock up on t-shirts for LBB twirl skirts, Sienna dresses, drawstring backpacks and whatever else might come up.

I was looking for a thrift store near my work (which is 45 miles away from home) and came across one extremely overpriced Salvation Army and since I work from home on Wednesdays and Fridays I wouldn't be able to take advantage of their discount days.

After another google search I came across this little gem: Our Lady Thrift Shop. And as the sign says has limited hours but it is open on the days I'm in the office. Score!!!
Our Lady Thrift Stop

This has to be the tiniest thrift shop I've ever seen. It is about the size of a 2 car garage and consists of a hallway for miscellaneous & holiday items, one small room for toys and children's books and one large room for everything else (and a closet for a dressing room). (It also has a back room they use for sorting donations.) And it is jam packed with very little space to move.
Our Lady Thrift Stop
I know that doesn't sound very appealing, but there are a few things that keep me coming back to this shop. It is very clean and doesn't smell like Sally's. The donations are carefully sorted and only the good stuff stays and the rest goes to Sally's or Goodwill. For the 1st two weeks of the month, they run a special: fill a bag with clothes for $5 (excludes any clothes priced over $5). Not to mention that it is operated by the cutest little old nuns that remind me of the nuns at my old high school.

Here's the loot I scored yesterday for $6.40. There are two hooded sweatshirts in there for my kids that look like they've never been worn. I also grabbed a couple of pillowcases to use for linings on bags. (They were ten cents each.) In the past I got an old plastic sewing case (just like the one my mom used to have) and it was filled with notions for only $5!!! And I did find one vintagey pillowcase (see below with the pink, orange, yellow & white flowers) that I'll be using for a pillowcase dress for my daughter.
Thrift store finds Thrift store finds
vintage pillowcase
The moral of this long-winded post, and in the words of Forrest Gump, thrift shops are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

2 comments:

  1. Great haul! I would be squealing for joy if I found that pillowcase - gorgeous!!! Thanks for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! I wish they had more cute ones!

    ReplyDelete