Feb 14, 2011

Floppy Placemat Clutch

While at Target yesterday, I can across the cutest placemats on sale for $1.98. A couple ideas came to mind - a clutch or a make-up roll. Since I'm not loving my current pocketbook and no one would really see my make-up bag except me, I went with the clutch.

I had seen this awesome tutorial over at Lil Blue Boo (she's so creative)! Since my placemat had a cute floral design, it didn't really need any embellishment. So I folded it in thirds and realized it was too wide for me. So I opened it back up and folded in a quarter (of the width) and folded it in thirds again. I sewed it up. It created a perfect inside pocket (fits the Blackberry nice and snug - that's with no measurements) and a couple of side compartments. Oh and I used plain old Velcro to keep it closed (too chicken to try the button hole maker on my sewing machine).

IMG_4502

IMG_4501

For a small-ish clutch, it is pretty big and pretty awesome!! I was very proud of myself. Then my good friend T saw it and LOVED it! So I'm off to Target to get another placemat so I can make one for her!

14 comments:

  1. Adorable! Don't you just love Target? I can get into so much trouble in that store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is cute and how easy it is to make. Thanks for the link to the tutorial, can't wait to try and make one. There are soooo many cute placemats out there and so inexpensive. Fun project, thanks for sharing.

    Visiting from Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I've made a placemat purse before --- but I think I like this idea even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your sweet comments! When I find great deals like this, I find that there is less pressure to try create something awesome and instead try something different and have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I may have to try this...Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!!! I'm going to try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! It looks fabulous! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out great! I love the pattern on the placemat. I found you at Between U & Me and am your newest follower.

    Melanie
    youmadethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! Love that you made it out of a placement! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been featured at SSB! Check out your feature below:

    http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2011/02/mad-skills-monday-46.html

    Feel free to snag the I was Featured button for your blog! Hope you'll stop by and visit again soon!
    xoxo
    Ginger
    SSB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there,
    So funny I did something like this too, but I left mine normal size!! I think it's really crazy that we both did the same thing! I hadn't seen anything like this before I did mine!!! Too fun!
    Hope you check out mine!
    http://brandlarge.blogspot.com and become a follwer! I'm your newest one!
    Much blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found 4 placemats that I had in my hutch that I had completely forgotten about!!! I'm going to try another clutch and a tote bag with these.
    I'll keep you all posted!
    Thanks for the great comments!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  13. J BEE-- YOU WON! This project was the winner in the National Craft Month Link Up Party! Contact me at crafttherapy (at) Gmail (dot) com and send me your address! CONGRATULATIONS!!!- Jenny from CraftTestDummies.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great find! Love the print. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete