Feb 26, 2011

Give This One a Try - The DIY Dish Ruffled Scarf

As you may have noticed, I'm a big fan of recycling/upcycling t-shirts. So when I heard about the different scarves made out of t-shirts over at the DIY Dish, I knew I'd have to give it a try. They have so many good ideas over there!!

As soon as I saw the ruffled scarf, I knew I wanted to make one for me and another one would be a great birthday gift for my aunt (also my son's godmother). When trying out a new project I like to make two, just in case one doesn't come out so nice. AND I took a chance and make mine out of fleece and the other out of some knit material I had on hand (I didn't think I had a t-shirt big enough).

With the fleece, I made 9 really big circles (10.5 inches). Love it - I wear it with my winter coat (so that's every day here in chilly New England).

IMG_4551 IMG_4558
IMG_4564

With the yellow knit, I used every inch that I had and made nine 8.5 inch circles and three 6.5 inch circles. (Too lazy to iron out my material & with this project I could get away with it!)

IMG_4565
IMG_4567IMG_4569
In case you were curious where I craft/sew and why you only see the cutting mat - in the kitchen and there is always tons of other stuff (and kids) all around me!!

For both scarves, instead of using fabric glue, I sewed them together at the top and tied the last strip around where it was sewn together.

IMG_4597
IMG_4598

I also love the yellow one!!! I wasn't sure how the stripes would look but I'm very happy with it. Definitely a nice POP of color around the face. I hope Auntie C likes it. I'll also make a Singed Flower pin to include with the scarf - I think burgandy might look nice.

16 comments:

  1. i saw this tutorial and can't wait to try it! i was going to sew them instead of using fabric glue too-glad it works! love your scarves-the yellow one is perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great. I love to wear scarfs!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow and white is just brilliant! I love that pretty, Springy color combo. :) A great addition to your wardrobe. :)

    Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Have fun finding some new blog friends, and I hope you'll visit Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow!!! I love scarves. Thank you so much for sharing these gorgeous scarves. I can't wait to try some of these for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Love the yellow one! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the happy yellow! Thanks for joining my newbie party. I would love if you added my link to your post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some fun projects.. I am your newest follower, I would love it if you would consider following my blog as well.

    ladybirdln.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that yellow one! Sooo pretty and spring-y! (And around here, you still need scarves in spring...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! I just found your blog and am now your newest follower. Come check me out if you get a chance.

    Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone. I definitely encourage you to give this one a try - you won't be disappointed!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linking to this post in my second "Walk Around blog Land" today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely! I really love repurposing projects! I will be featuring it today ^^) thanks for sharing and linking up! we hope to see you again this week! ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your creativity, thanks for linking up to my blog bash K.I.S.S. @ The Tattered Tag. Please link up more of your great ideas tomorrow. :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete