Feb 18, 2011

Love These Flowers!!

IMG_4540

No I didn't get a beautiful bouquet of flowers from the hubby on Valentine's Day. (I did get some yummy Lindt chocolates from the hubby & kids, which I loved!) I'm talking about the Singed Flowers made out of organza fabric (or I think that is what kind of fabric it is). I think the first time I heard about these flowers was over at Craftaholics Anonymous last year.

I was in Joann's looking at the discounted fabric and came across this pretty yellow flowy fabric for $2 a yard! I also found it in this gray/brown color. I splurged and bought a quarter yard of each and decided to give it a shot - how hard could it be. As long as I didn't burn the house down, I'd only be out a dollar.

IMG_4513
I folded up the fabric and cut 3 different sized circles (12 total). Then cut some tiny circles with the scraps. Next - I singed. Both the circles and my poor little fingers. Ouch! I took the tealight candle out of the holder and just put it on the table - SO MUCH EASIER and faster!!!

IMG_4512 IMG_4514
Once I had every circle singed, I layered. I mixed and matched colors. I added beads and buttons. Then I sewed them together. And I LOVE THESE FLOWERS!!! I now understand why I have seen them all over blogland (like here and here). I've already made a second trip to Joann's to buy more fabric in different colors (especially while it is on clearance).

IMG_4526 IMG_4528 IMG_4534 IMG_4537 IMG_4547

I plan to use them for clippies, headbands and pony elastics. I wore this one to work and the girls loved it!


IMG_4527

9 comments:

  1. Your flowers are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Fabulous job. I love the depth of the petals. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so pretty with all those layers. I really like the fact that you could use them for different things. The ponytail holder is the cutest!

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Have fun finding some new reads, and I hope you'll visit Serenity Now again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these flowers...your turned out much better than my first attempt at them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love your flowers! I just bought that exact shade of turquoise/teal blue the other day at JoAnne's! Also, thought I'd let you know, I am your newest follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These flowers are simple cute! They make we want Spring to come sooner rather than later. Thanks bunches for linking your creative idea to my blog bash K.I.S.S. :)

    http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much everyone. I've been busy busy (like a bee) making more of these flowers for a craft show coming up on April 1. I'll post more pictures of the finished projects.
    Love looking at all of your pictures as well - very pretty!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. No pics yet, but I'm working with that fabric today. I made a bunch of flowers using a similar color last night and they are GORGEOUS. Today I'm going to try the darker teal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way making these flowers is fun and lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete