Mar 6, 2011

Diaper Cake - fast and easy

I had received two diaper cakes with the birth of each child and I loved them. I used every single item included, especially the diapers. A couple of years ago, I did a few web searches and came across this totally awesome site: Coolest Diaper Cakes. You can scroll through this site for hours to get ideas and upload the ones that you've created.

For the diaper cakes I create here are my preferences: I like the all (or at least one) layers to be covered with a receiving blanket or pants or bibs. I also know that I don't want to roll each diaper individually. So I decided to roll them around each other. Sometimes I use something in the middle like a bottle and wrap the diapers around them. I also like to include sock or facecloth rosettes. And I like a cute cake topper, like a plush rattle or even a homemade crinkle taggie blanket. I don't usually hang too much off the cake, so it tend to be on the simple side.

Here's a small 2 layer cake I made yesterday. Gather supplies - diapers, ribbon, blanket, taggie, elastics, double sided tape or scotch tape, skewers, straight pins & safety pins (not pictured)

IMG_4611

For rosettes, gather socks, pipecleaners, green floral tape. Use this tutorial: Baby Sock Rose Bouquet Instructions

IMG_4614

For the cake:
1. roll as many folded diapers around each other as you can (about 6 or 8); secure with an elestic

IMG_4617

2. open up a few more diapers and roll around the others; use tape and elestics to secure as needed

3. fold receiving blanket so it is the height of the diapers and wrap around the layer of secured diapers; secure with straight and safety pins

IMG_4618

4. For top layer, repeat step one and two

5. Place on top of bottom layer and poke 3 skewers through each layer

6. For the top layer, I wrapped with 2 different sized ribbon, securing with double sided tape and straight pins

7. For the topper, I used a homemade crinkle taggie blanket (below). I rolled it up at an angle, secured with pins and wedged it in to the center of the diapers on the top layer

IMG_4588

8. I randomly placed the 6 rosettes into the top of each layer of the cake. Played around with it until I liked how it looked:

IMG_4619


9. I like to wrap it in tulle and ribbon/bows and include a recipe card with all of the ingredients.

IMG_4620

This is how I like to make diaper cakes. You can really tailor it to match your taste. Plus there are so many great examples out there on the website. Here are a few others that I've made in the past, including a bath towel cake that I made as a wedding shower gift.

Diaper Cake (Gina) IMG_3553 IMG_3552

AND this is one of the 2 or 3 I'm making for my sister-in-law's baby shower next month. All the items on it are homemade and I'm working on a post to tell you all about it!!

diaper cake 1 for Erin


The Blackberry Vine

10 comments:

  1. Those are amazing, Jessica! My favorite is the one with the pretty pink and green! :)

    Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Have fun finding some new reads, and I hope you'll stop by to visit Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!! I am a new follower, hope you will come visit my blog sometime.
    http://suze-vinton.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. your diaper cakes are precious! I hope you'll stop by and share them at the Pretty Packages PartY!
    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/03/pretty-packages-party-7.html
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  4. All are so darn cute! Thank you for sharing your great projects by linking up to my blog bash K.I.S.S. @ The Tattered Tag. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, so drop by and link up more of your creativity! :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are super cute! makes me wish I am pregnant so I could have a baby shower and have a diaper cake this cute! thanks for linking up and I hope to see you again this week! have a nice weekend! ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I featured your sweet diaper cake this week! Feel free to stop by and pick up a feature button.
    smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! If you've always wanted to try a diaper cake - you should go for it!!!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cakes are lovely! I like how each diaper cake looks unique. Thats hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I oгіginally commеnted I сlicκeԁ the "Notify me when new comments are added" chеckbox anԁ now each time a comment іѕ addеԁ I get thгеe e-maіlѕ
    with the same сomment. Iѕ therе аny
    way you can rеmove people from that servісe?
    Thank you!

    Μy blοg post Blаck High Ηeelѕ
    ()

    ReplyDelete