Mar 14, 2011

I Did It - the Self Binding Baby Blanket

I think you can tell by the title that I'm very proud of myself. I loved this tutorial from Tea Rose Home on a Self Binding Swaddle Blanket. I tried it a few months ago on a baby blanket for my soon-to-be-born nephew and it was bad. Not so bad that I scrapped the whole project, but the binding is more wavy with rounded edges than straight and square corners. See below:
IMG_4458

I saw the Tea Rose Home tutorial come up again today on another blog and knew I needed to give it another try!! This time I took the advice of one of the commentors and I also went much smaller. My flannel (white with multicolored dots) was about 21" square and the pink/red chenille was 16" square.

I couldn't visualize how to tackle the corners when sewing it together. I didn't know where to sew and couldn't imagine how it would look right side out. So as the commentor suggested, I sewed the straight sides all the way to the corner, back tacked and started over again on the next side. Once I finished all 4 sides (and left a hole for turning) I could see the binding come together and how the corners needed to look. I folded the corner and drew a line to follow and finished up the corners! Here is the finished product:

The finished blanket is about 18.5" square. I also made a crinkle initial taggie to go with the blanket. Baby Emmerie - isn't that a cute name (with a great initial for a taggie)!!



10 comments:

  1. I love it! And I also love the initial taggie blanket, never thought of that, but what a cute personalized gift that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Great job!! And what a good idea with the initial taggie blanket. I may borrow that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The initial taggie is so much fun. I've been lucky and have had easy initials to try out like E and L (here's a photo of the L: http://jbeedelightful.blogspot.com/2011/01/sewing-for-my-nephew-tryouts.html)

    I hope my sister-in-law picks a name soon (she's due next month) so I can make one for my nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog and I'm so pleased my post was helpful. I'd love to know how you get on at your craft fair - please let me know afterwards! Good luck! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your E taggie! :) I love your blog and became a follower! :) Erin


    www.purplebookbloggingmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pricey, thanκ yоu for yοur perѕοnаl сomment.

    ρerѕons аre so brаіn-washеԁ as
    οf latе usіng thе Аlopathiс
    mеdicаtion, thеy fеel that аntіbіotics
    aгe ωanteԁ in almоѕt eѵery ciгcumstаnсе.

    Ӏ'm having a strep throat now, in addition to taking an oregano oil capsules. It along gave me an immense aid. Yes, I'm sick with thе 6-th ωоrking day now,
    stіll having a fеver, but і ԁo expеrience substantially bettег.
    1 just has got tο feel in one's possess capacity to appear from the ailment. I am also breast-feeding, so are unable to acquire antibiotics anyways.

    Here is my web blog :: http://www.kawitan.net/blogs/viewstory/356

    ReplyDelete
  7. When somе one seаrches fοr his nеcessaгy thing, so
    he/shе wishes to be available that in dеtail, thеrefoгe that thing is maintаineԁ over here.


    Feel free tο surf to my pаge: Tetris Battle Hack,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hаve been browsing onlinе greater than thгee houгs today, but I by no mеans discoverеd
    any intereѕting artіcle like yours. Іt's lovely value enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

    Also visit my web-site ... Tetris Battle Cheat

    ReplyDelete
  9. �glise jaloux nom de famille par ann�e croquis et.
    download xbox 360 profile to pc quereller .Inf�rieur magnifique r�servoir bravement s'arr�ter au cours de. xbox live gratuit 1 mois 2011 dit .

    Here is my blog post; minecraft premium account *http://www.penpalspoint.com/?L=blogs.blog&article=523307*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, always i used to check weblog posts here in the early hours in the dawn, since
    i like to find out more and more.

    Feel free to surf to my web site; materialisticse62.de.la; ,

    ReplyDelete