Gather Materials & Supplies:
- 11x14 frame ($1 – you could choose whatever size you’d like. I looked for the biggest one I could find. Or recycle an old frame in your stash)
- Grosgrain ribbon ($1 each, $2 total): I used 5/8” white and 7/8” purple (again you can choose the size & colors you have on hand)
- 12” x 15” (minimum) Scrap piece of fabric (free, on hand)
- Staple gun (I ended up using a regular stapler) or hot glue gun
- Open up frame and remove glass (discard or reuse on another project)
- Take out the cardboard insert
- Measure and cut fabric so hangs a ½-1 inch over the frame insert on all sides
- Pull taunt around insert and staple (or glue) fabric as close to the edge as possible. I was able to use my regular stapler because the cardboard insert was fairly thin
- Decide how many & where you want to place your ribbon
(I pulled out a hair pretty to use as a reference.)
- I cut 3 white and 4 purple pieces about 12 inches long
- Mark the middle of the frame at the top and bottom
- Center the first ribbon using the mark
- Pull the ribbon around the frame insert and staple as close to the top and bottom of the insert
- Evenly space the remaining pieces of ribbon, stapling at the top and bottom
- Place insert back into the frame and admire your work
I planned on adding a long piece of ribbon across the top and bottom on the insert to hide the staples, but due to the design of the frame, you couldn’t see any staples. I think I can fit like 75 barrettes in my Hair Pretty Holder and I'm pretty excited!!!
You could hang it on the wall just like any picture frame, but I was planning to hang it using a ribbon and bow at the top. (After I used it for the craft fair.) I also felt it needed something more, so I hot glued some fabric rosettes I had whipped it. You could really embellish it with anything like buttons, beads or even a name or initial.
NOTE: I found these cool big paperclips that I’m planning to hot glue to the bottom corners of the frame. I needed something to hold pony tail elastics in addition to the clippies.